Monday, May 12, 2014

Musical Monday - Count to Ten by Paul & Storm


I love Schoolhouse Rock. I fell in love with it as kid when it was broadcast in between cartoons on Saturday mornings. I learned how legislation was passed by watching I'm Just a Bill. I learned about the 19th Amendment by watching Sufferin' til Suffrage. I cannot read the Preamble of the U.S. Constitution without hearing the tune of the Schoolhouse Rock song of the same name in my head. I still think of a verb as a superhero, and I'm pretty sure that the lessons the series taught me about the parts of speech helped me pass the Grammar Competency Exam in high school.

I have all of Schoolhouse Rock on DVD, and when I feel down, I pull it out, put it in the DVD-player, and let it play for hours. There are few things that are better than peppy songs about grammar, history, and science for picking you up. And no one does a better Schoolhouse Rock parody than Paul & Storm. They are able to take something as simple as counting to ten and craft a series of humorous and satirical verses that are somehow sophomoric, bitter, incisive, and hilarious all at the same time. Couple their lyrics with a crowd of nerds, and you get a magical result. A very dorky magical result.

Previous Musical Monday: The Imperial March
Subsequent Musical Monday: Game of Thrones Opening Credits

Paul & Storm     Musical Monday     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment