Saturday, November 15, 2014

Book Blogger Hop November 14th - November 20th: There Are 78 Total Gifts in the Song "The Twelve Days of Christmas"

Book Blogger Hop

Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: As you grow in your blogging experience, have you become more particular in terms of what you will post on your blog or what books you will read for review on your blog?

Yes. When I started blogging, and review requests were few, I accepted most of them. Granted, I have never really accepted e-book review requests, but in the early days of my blogging I'd accept almost anything in paper form. Now, however, I am much more selective. I generally won't accept anything outside of the science fiction or fantasy genres, and even then, I tend to reject more than I accept.

After I read a couple of pretty bad offerings, I established a policy of rejecting almost all "Christian" science fiction and fantasy. I also try to suss out and reject all of the obvious political screeds disguised as science fiction or fantasy. I am also pretty likely to reject a book if the pitch e-mail is poorly written - taking the position that if an author (or their publicist) cannot write an e-mail reasonably well, I'm not going to want to read an entire book by that author. In fact, my "to be reviewed" shelf is so large that these days I often go through my e-mails looking for reasons to reject a review request rather than to accept one.


Book Blogger Hop     Home

2 comments:

  1. Interesting response. I haven't been reviewing often enough for publishers or authors to seek me out. Instead, I ask for review copies via NetGalley, Goodreads, or Library Thing. I also review *some* of the books which I purchase or check out from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Elsi: I've been reviewing for a while, but I am still somewhat surprised at the volume of requests that I receive.

      Delete